Re: shell_exec seems to hang other web requests while running convert

We can live with the fact that it will take a little longer to process the
images. The image processing is only done by 2 people, about once a month,
just to save them time (they would do it with photoshop otherwise and it is
really boring and time consuming). In fact, i might set up an automatic
email when its finished. :-)

In the future it might become an issue when people can edit their own
ebooks. This project dates back to 1999, so a lot of it is legacy (a binary
page definition data format...). We're thinking of moving to swf pages
instead of images, as they currently are, that will reduce the time to be
taken to convert a pdf by thousands and would increase the quality and
reduce download times for end users, but it will take time to develop which
is not at hand atm.

We have been thinking about scaling issues as well for quite some time
now...
It was hard enough to get them to move to Linux, since i work in a .NET
shop...
Setting up load balancing is not a trivial task though and expensive to
host. I'm the main software developer on this project and am too busy adding
features and debugging ActionScript, C++ and PHP code to do that as well.

Thanks for your thoughts though.

Regards,
Tim

Tim-Hinnerk Heuer