Re: shell_exec seems to hang other web requests while running convert

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:34 PM, German Geek <geek.de@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> cron is a good idea, havent thought about that. One could use the nice
> program then to give it the lowest priority, because other requests are more
> important than this and another server gives the issue of transfering files
> back and forth. Another soln would be to run it with & in the background
> (with nice) and then check if the file(s) exist on ajax calls to give
> feedback, this might actually be easier to implement.

nice'ing the process is a good idea, however, youll only prolong the time it
will take to accomplish those img manipulation tasks, and soon you'll find
yourself w/ a nice little backlog on your hands.

what sounds to me to be the larger issue is pushing the limit on a single
box.  in order to scale, youll need to spread the load somehow.  you can
dodge the bullet now, but it will be back, if your sites popularity is
growing.

just my 2c

-nathan