Re: Using php in custom built http server

Also could look at using fastcgi and would not have to embed libphp and such.

On Dec 19, 2008, at 9:58 PM, "Nathan Nobbe" <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Mr. Gecko <grmrgecko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey, I built my own http server, and I'm wanting to add php to it. the
server is in Objective-C.
I know I can use terminal commands to do it, but if I was to do that how
would I get headers and stuff php sends, and how would I send php
HTTP_REMOTE_ADDRESS and stuff like that?

there is a well known book, by sara golemon, extending & embedding
php<http://tinyurl.com/a75bbk>.
youll almost certainly want to grab that. there are also some nice pdf's and articles online, mostly for writing extensions afaict. only a small portion of the book about embedding php, but to give you a quick overview, the most simple approach to embedding essentially boils down to including libphp, and invoking it with a string of php & the C level eval(). the book
will get you going from there.

im sure if you know what youre doing, which if you could write a webserver in objc, i suppose you would, should be able to get the eval-based approach working 'pretty quickly'TM. from there you can experiment w/ the info the book has and it would probly be good to find some smaller webserver projects
that support php, like lighttpd <http://www.lighttpd.net/download>.
lighttpd is stricly C tho, if im not mistaken, but im sure youll find some
nice example segments there.

I would prefer doing it with terminal commands, but I am willing it do it
with a library or however I have to do it.

well, im not sure what you need to do, make-file-wise, to get C to compile into an objective-C application, but i know it can be done, b/c i did it on an iphone app where we used the C interface to sqlite3. im sure if youre
webserver is using objective-C classes, and some of its neat runtime
features, you might wind up writing some sort of OO wrapper around phps
embedding api, but thats just a guess.

btw, is this a private project or is the code out there somewhere ?

-nathan