Re: Poll of Sorts: Application Frameworks--Zend, Cake etc

'Twas brillig, and Terion Miller at 12/12/08 13:55 did gyre and gimble:
Thanks for the responses, CakePhp was seemingly very easy for me to catch
on to and get started in (which means its super super easy folks)
unfortunately when I got to the viewing of my files (pretty important) I
couldn't get the IIS (yep I know sucks) to work with it, and I installed a
mod_rewrite.dll for IIS and everything along with setting it to Cakes
"pretty urls" and removing the htdocs, but then it just kept resolving all
urls to the root ... no matter what I changed the path to, and no matter if
I set it only to that directory...so by end of day yesterday I downloaded
the zend and will attempt to see what I can do with it, I want off this
windows box but that isn't going to happen anytime soon ...sigh...

I hate to say but I suspect you'll be in a similar boat with Zend... perhaps not, but I certainly make fairly extensive use of rewrite rules to direct all my URLs to my main Zend bootstrap.

Just out of curiosity, are you stuck to that specific windows box (e.g. is that what you have to host on in a live env?) or is it just that you need to use the machine for devel?

Reason I ask is that it's pretty trivial to install Apache, PHP and MySQL on windows.... there are even some packages that make it ultra easy to install e.g.:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

I don't use it personally (thankfully don't use windows unless I'm poked with a pointy stick!) but I hear good things.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie