Re: Parsing XML

Per Jessen wrote:
> Ashley Sheridan wrote:

>>> Parsing XML is best done with XSL - if that's out of the question,
>>> you're in for a difficult time.
>>>

>>> /Per Jessen, Zürich
>>>

>> XSL will only allow me to convert it into a different document format,
>> which is not what I want as I need to keep a local copy of information
>> in a database for searching and sorting purposes. Nathans class allows
>> me to have the entire document put into an array tree, which is fine
>> for what I need so far.
>
> That's cool, but XSL is still the more appropriate tool IMO.  It does
> exactly what you need - it parses and validates the XML document,
> allows you to extract the bits you need and in virtually any format you
> need - which could be a text document with SQL statements for piping to
> mysql.
>

> /Per Jessen, Zürich

I'm with you on this, Per.
You could even use the XSL to construct a bunch of PHP which could be eval'd or
just read in as an include.
Or better yet, if you use the XSL classes, you can register PHP functions and
then call them within your XSL directly. That could potentially handle the
validation you required, and even do the database inserts.

I'm looking into using something like that on a project I'm currently working
on: maybe I can come up with some examples in a couple of days...

--
Peter Ford                              phone: 01580 893333
Developer                               fax:   01580 893399