Re: Trre/Drop Down quick app for testing database tbls

Hello,

on 11/28/2008 02:19 PM bruce said the following:
> I've got a few tbls that I'm testing. I'd like to have a simple web app to
> be able to iterate through the tbls to test out what I have in them.
>
> I'd like to be able to have each tbl as a drop-down/select box, so I select
> from selecta, which lists items from TBL-A, which then uses the id from
> TBL-A, to get the items from TBL-B that matches. Selecting from drop-down
> for TBL-B, then gets me the list on TBL-C...
>
> I've got 3-4 tbls that are linked by their id.
>
> Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'm asking if anyone has a quick app that
> they can point to that I can extract/modify the functionality for my
> needs...

This is a frequent problem. You may want to take a look at this forms
generation class that comes with plug-in named linked select that
achieves precisely what you want.

http://www.phpclasses.org/formsgeneration

It can link 2 or more select inputs, without chaining limits. It can
switch to alternative set of options for one select when the previous
input value changes.

The alternative option sets may be defined statically, but there
variants of this plug-in to fetch options from MySQL databases or any
other database supported by Metabase or PEAR::MDB2 database abstraction
layers.

The plug-in may use AJAX to retrieve the alternative option sets from
the server without reloading the pages.

Here is a live demo:

http://www.meta-language.net/forms-examples.html?example=test_linked_select

Here you can see a tutorial video about the forms class with a section
about this plug-in:

http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/video/1/package/1/section/plugin-linked-select.html

Here you can see the slide presentation. Jump to slide 26 to check the
slide about this plug-in.

http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/video/3/package/1.html

--

Regards,