Re: Re: Parsing XML

Ashley Sheridan wrote:
On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 22:13 +0000, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 20:56 +0000, Nathan Rixham wrote:
Ashley Sheridan wrote:
Hi All,

I've run into a bit of a problem. I need to parse some fairly detailed
XML files from a remote website. I'm pulling in the remote XML using
curl, and that bit is working fine. The smaller XML documents were easy
to parse with regular expressions, as I only needed  bit of information
out of them.

The live server I'm eventually putting this onto only has domxml for
working with XML. I've been trying to find the pecl extension for this
to install on my local machine, but the pecl.php.net site is a bit
nerfed for this extension (I'm getting a file not found error message.)

Do any of you have a copy of this extension, or failing that, a
suggestion of how I can parse XML files without having to install
anything on the remote server, as I do not have that level off access to
it.

Thanks
Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

standard response which has helped a few recently :p

"you could give this a go if you like (one i made earlier): http://programphp.com/xmlparser.phps - class at the top, usage at the bottom."

I've started using DOMDocument for this (I bypassed your code for the
moment as it uses regular expressions, which were a speed bottleneck
with my approach) but I can't find any proper documentation on it
online. My efforts so far have resulted in a lot of errors which are
nigh on impossible to debug. I've used the dom class in javascript
without problems now, and it seems to look similar, but it's all going
wrong!

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

OK, given up on DOMDocument, and tried your code Nathan, works
beautifully! Turns out the slow speeds I was experiencing before using
the regexes was down to the remote server serving out the xml document.
Its the armory server on wow-europe, so not too worried about that!

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

the armory at wow-europe? That thing is horribly overloaded [permanently], get used to it. I've had a few scripts have trouble with that place aswell, considering connections timed out regularly.

- Tul