Re: Voting methodology

I once had to implement something similar for a client's intranet page.
First we designed it to work without login simply by logging the IPs
(static and in the 10.10.*.* range) to avoid people voting twice or
more.
Then the client wanted to have some statistics like what department
voted for what (yeah, not very democratic i know).
So we changed it have the user log in before voting. Now we could also
make sure that only authorized users were voting, unless a user forgot
to log out and a delivery guy was taking his chances (very unlikely).

I think the thingy about online voting is to ask oneself how serious
the result has to be. Getting a 99% bulletproof result might be quite
time consuming (thinking of HTTPS, tokens, authorization, etc. here).
So it all depends on what your client wants.

//A yeti