Re: Voting methodology

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 9:23 AM, tedd <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi gang:
>
> What methodology would be the best for online voting?
>
> I have a client who is a Union and they want members to vote online, but
> don't want someone to stuff the voting box.
>
> I have some ideas of my own, but would like to hear what you people would
> recommend.
>  <http://www.php.net/unsub.php>

espn.com wrote an article about this once.  They ran a voting poll to
determine the best uniforms in sports.  It came down to two teams.  A guy
wrote a script to go in and vote over and over and over.  They found 80,000
entries from him.  They tracked it all by IP address, and then looked at the
time logs for the vote.  They noticed all the IPs were mostly the same, some
slight changes, and then the times were consecutive within in a few
minutes.

Now, of course, filtering by time and IP isn't full proof, the best idea is
to log in (as suggested already).  But if you can't log in, you could do
things such as IP logging, cookie.  Unfortunately, workers are not always
honorable.  And I'm not just picking on union workers.  If you can get them
to log in do it, otherwise, log as much information as possible and set a
cookie.

--
-Dan Joseph

www.canishosting.com - Plans start @ $1.99/month.

"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for the rest of the day.
Light a man on fire, and will be warm for the rest of his life."