Re: Re: Open Project

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Alex Chamberlain
<php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Nathan Rixham wrote:
>> > Evening All,
>> >
>> > I'm feeling the need to either start or contribute to something
>> > opensource and in PHP.
>> >
>> > Anybody have any worthy causes or projects they'd like to collab on
>> > get off the ground; open to all options preference going to anything
>> > framework, orm, webservice or basically anything without an html
>> front
>> > end :)
>> >

>> Afternoon,
>>
>> I've had a look through the two frameworks that Alex and Craige have
>> sent through, done a lot of thinking and came to a decision, well more
>> of an idea. I'd be interested in thoughts / comments.
>>
>> What:
>> A light generic framework for php developers, built API style with a
>> public interface (web service) and a private interface (PHP 5 classes).
>>
>> =Base=:
>>
>> 3rd Party WS Integrations:
>> Amazon AWS and S3 services, Yahoo's API's, OpenCalais, Google API's
>> (more..?)
>>
>> Additional Product Integrations:
>> Apache SOLR, ARC2 (for rdf and sparql support?), Doctrine (ORM)?
>>
>> Templating:
>> Smart, other or custom.
>>
>> DB:
>> PDO/Doctrine + contrib to doctrine project as well (or fork?) OR custom
>> ORM built on top of PDO.
>>
>> PHP Client Lib's:
>> HTTP 1.1, SOAP 1.2 (with the ws-* suite), xml-rpc and maybe XMPP?
>>
>> XML:
>> Generic XML Parser using DOM API
>> Object to XML and XML to Object support, aim to add __toXML() for all
>> classes.
>> Specific XML Parsers, XHTML, RSS, ATOM, SOAP, RDF, XML-RPC (maybe XMPP)
>> Specific XML Writers (same as above)
>>
>> Helpers:
>> Some things like a Arrays, HashMaps, Tree class, filesystem
>> negotiation,
>> verification for common data types (emails and the like) Primitive
>> types
>> maybe byte, int, real, string classes too?) - Dates and thoughts on an
>> Arbitary Precision Class as well for the hell of it?
>>
>> Internals:
>> Framework structure and design pattern(s), Generic Object Class with
>> id's etc, Generic Cache Class (unless in ORM layer), interfaces,
>> Exception handler, logging, autoloader(s) etc.
>> An additional I'd like in here is auto initiation via an "initiator"
>> interface(s) and analysis on all framework classes via reflection to
>> auto initiate classes upon framework load.
>>
>> [probably do all of the above in reverse order eh.. the framework core,
>> all with private api's (eg classes)]
>>
>> Second Layer: (all with private and public api's)
>> After the above a series of generic domain model/business object
>> classes
>> such as user, address, article etc etc built on top of the ORM stuff.
>> tbd! Probably worth getting a load agreed, defined and drawn up in UML.

> [...]

I looked into your framework for a little bit.  So far I see a lot of
things that would be painful in my daily work if I were using such a
thing.  The reason everything is so "complicated" is because people
really need complicated, varying things.  Lots of projects need to be
able to handle authentication or databases differently.  I'd say that
if you wanted something that is very straight forward, then perhaps
you should use an existing framework that has all of the thousands of
man hours invested already, but use something like the adapter pattern
to make the api interfaces much easier.  If you're always going to use
one way of doing things, then perhaps just create your own class
wrapper that works that exact way.

I went down this road too.  I developed my own set of tools back in
php4 days since we couldn't use php5 at the time.  I pulled what I
thought were the best ideas at the time from a lot of various
frameworks.  It ended up okay, but there's a lot of problems.  First
off there's really not a lot of documentation.  Open source frameworks
usually have pretty good docs on usage of their code.  Secondly, my
code coverage is kinda poor because real work got in the way.  I just
don't have the time to invest into getting things in their best shape.
 Keeping motivation for such things is hard too.  After working on
code for 40 hours a week, do I really want to write more of it?  Then
finally, it's a one man show.  There's no community for answering
questions, adding features, etc.  That is just my experience though.
I think it has been a good learning experience for me though.  I got
to see the strengths and weaknesses of various code bases.  Plus lots
of different ways of doing the same thing.

Good luck to you!