RE: while-question

> Dabbling?
>
> I think that making a living from it isn't dabbling, so I may not be
> qualified to speak for the dabblers.
>
> But for me, I was writing code before there were such courses. Later,
> when I went to college I was taught adventures in keypunching and
> received several "next to worthless" degrees.
>
> I say "next to worthless" only because what they taught really wasn't
> applicable to real world programming. As for management, clients, and
> hr types, the degrees mattered, but not for much more than that.
>
> In any event, I doubt if any college courses are keeping up with
> current web technology -- there has always been a lag between what's
> practiced and what's taught. What I've seen of college web sites,
> seems to support that claim.
>
> If I was taught in college all I needed to know, then what am I doing
> with these dozens of web books scattered about my office? I probably
> read a new book every other week.

I don't "dabble" in it either, unless you consider making my living from being a dabbler, in which case I'll continue to dabble and see the pay for it.  My alma-mater tried to stay current to some degree, but when they let someone who wrote the C++ book try to teach it, well they gave that person more rope then they needed.

Tedd, glad you got hooked on Phonics.  One of these days I hope from graduating from just looking at the pictures, but right now the pictures are oh so enticing!. ;)

Wolf