Re: Memcached as Session Handler

APseudoUtopia wrote:
Hey list,

I run a website that integrates MemCache, MySQL, and PHP sessions very
heavily. I recently came across some documentation on the PHP site
that informs me that I can use MemCache as the session.save_handler,
instead of files.

I know there would be no redundancy of the session data with this type
of setup, in the event that the MemCache daemon fails.

However the website is run on a single server and a single MemCache
daemon, with a single IDE HDD.

I'm curious as to if anyone else uses MemCache as the
session.save_handler? What are the pros and cons of doing this? I
figured it would help out with disk I/O and overall performance
because MemCache would be much faster than the IDE drive, and I
update/reference the $_SESSION data very often.

Well I use it in a multi-server environment. While I don't technically need it in this setup it certainly can help in some circumstances. If you want to expand to a dual server with round-robin DNS load balancing, then memcache will defo help.

No idea about benchmarks and performance vs files tho' so can't really help with that!

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie