Re: It's Sunday, and I'm bored...

Govinda schreef:

> On Nov 9, 2008, at 12:28 PM, Richard Heyes wrote:
>>
>> Subversion, or svn for short. Helps you maintain code bases. Far
>> better than regular backups (though by no means a replacement).
>
> I looked it over briefly and it looks smart for serious collaborated
> efforts..  but i ask - is anyone finding it makes sense for one-man shows?

hell yes, if you can't handle using it on your own, using it in a team
is next to impossible (you have all these other freaks that keep committing
stuff and either breaking things or giving merge conflicts to deal with).

svn (or the alternative, cvs, which I prefer to use) allows you to rollback
changes, compare versions and most interestingly, maybe, to tag releases which
you can then 'roll out' ... this give you an assurance of being sure about
what it is your putting live (as opposed to copying, ftping stuff and never
being quite sure as to which exact version of any given file your running live)

on windows both svn and cvs have a brilliant explorer plugin called
TortoiseCVS/TortoiseSVN for the clientside of things which any noob and
his dog can use ... it really is that easy to get started with. the 'hard'
part is setting up a repository server (which could be your local machine
but is better off being some server that is properly backed up, etc) .. STW
for setting up a repository.

DONT DELAY BUY ONE TODAY. ;-)

> (For the time to get up to speed with this maybe I could just pay more
> attention to making/naming my own backups?)
>>

>>> It's nice to have at least loose communities like this list so we solo
>>> freelancers don't think we're simply mad.
>>
>> You are... :-)
> Well yes, but I meant without company..  See when we are in a herd, then
> even if we're all mad, then somehow it seems alright.  ;-)  We even have
> professional looking tools to track which version of madness!

you're not 'loose' the asylum is just bigger than you realise ... most people
know it by it's other name ... Earth.