Re: logic for grabbing what we need from user-input addresses for AVS?

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 01:10 -0400, Robert Cummings wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 22:56 -0600, Govinda wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > This is not exactly PHP, but an issue that we have to work out in code
> > (whatever we use) -
> > I am working on a shopping cart site which will have orders from any
> > country.
> >
> > To cut down on fraudulent orders, our cc processor (whatever we call
> > them), to enable "Address Verification System (AVS)",  accepts a var/
> > value which is "The numeric portion of the street address".  It is
> > "Required for AVS".  Now to get this from what the user input, I can:
> >
> > - just read the *numeric* characters off the front of the first (of 2)
> > address text inputs, stopping grabbing them once I reach any non-
> > numeric char., or I could
> > - get *any* numeric  chars input in that text area and concatenate
> > them all together (if there is more than one continuous run of them), or
> > - get *any* numeric  chars input in *either* of the address text areas
> > and concatenate that all together (if there is more than one
> > continuous run of them), or
> > - (what are the other possibilities?)
> >
> > I am asking you guys/gals using AVS:  what are they looking for?  The
> > docs make this clear that they want: "The numeric portion of the
> > street address", but just because I can't think of addresses that
> > don't match a pattern I am thinking of does not mean they don't exist
> > or are not valid.  And how should the logic of my algorithm be written
> > if it was just for USA addresses?  ... and more importantly - if I am
> > writing it to handle addresses from any country?
> >
> > Thanks for any insight/logic based on experience,  ;-)
>
> AVS systems I've used don't ask for the street number. They ask for the
> entire address and they do the matching for me and return a code
> indicating what portions matched. For one client in particular an AVS
> fail allows the order to go through, but it is flagged as peculiar and
> requires someone to manually reject or allow the order to be fulfilled.
> This was necessary since a lot of AVS failures were encountered for
> regular clients.
>
> If I had to make a choice given your system, I think I would just grab
> the integer value of the first address line. No concatenation, and no
> fussing with a second line...
>
>     $number = (int)$input;
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.
> --
> http://www.interjinn.com
> Application and Templating Framework for PHP

It does sound like a bit of a flawed system you are using though, I
mean, some addresses have only house names, not numbers, so there would
be no number, and what about business addresses in business centres?
"Unit 3 of Suchandsuch Business Centre, 20-30 Somesuch Road..." How
would you go about getting the numerical part from that?

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk