Re: PHP Dev Facts

On Thursday 16 October 2008 6:14:18 pm Nathan Rixham wrote:
> Evening All,
>
> I'd be /really/ interested to know who uses what!
>
> *Procedural or OOP?*

Right tool for the job.  I'm comfortable in either.  Most of my work these
days is in a large open source procedural framework, but I'm slowly working
more and more OOP into it. :-)

> *Dev OS*

Kubuntu Hardy.

> *Dev PHP Version*

5.2.4

> *Live Server OS*

For my personal stuff, hosted FreeBSD.  At my company, we use a web host
that's running either RHEL or Fedora.  (I honestly forget which.)

> *Live Server PHP Version*

5.2.6

> *Which HTTP Server Software (+version)?*

Apache 2 in most places, but I think a few may be running 1.3 for no good
reason.

> *IDE / Dev Environment*

Zend Studio 5.5 is the only IDE I can actually say I like.  More recent
versions of Eclipse / Eclipse PDT at least don't suck as much as they used
to, which is the only good thing I can say about any of 'em.

> *Preferred Framework(s)?*

98% of my PHP is written on, for, and with Drupal. :-)

> *Do you Unit Test?*

For internal framework stuff (where I can do proper TDD), extensively.  For
day to day for clients, not all that much.  Most of that work is not really
unit-testable to begin with, and functional tests are considerably harder to
do at this point in Drupal.  (Although that is improving.)

> *Most Used Internal PHP Class*

PDO, probably, since I build the new Drupal DB layer on top of it.  However, I
am a huge huge fan of ArrayAccess, simply for its cool factor.

> *Preferred OS CMS*

Drupal (surprise surprise).

> *Anything else you use frequently in you're PHP'ing that's worth
> mentioning:*

Don't underestimate the power of associative arrays.  You can get some really
deep, really powerful, really fast data structures with a little care and an
embracing of associative arrays.

--
Larry Garfield
larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx