Re: Alternative to HTTP_REFERER?

Ashley Sheridan wrote:

> You should look at developing the app so that it doesn't rely on
> referrer information, as this is unpredictable as you've seen.

Yep, that's what I did too.  Can't remember exactly what I did, but I
suspect it involved setting info in the session,

> Not just with IE as well, because some proxy servers have been known
> to strip out this information, and individual users can turn this off
> if they know how.

That is/was not a concern in my case.

> What are you doing with it? Maybe there's another solution to the
> problem.

My problem was that I needed to use the HTTP_REFERER as the URL in a 303
redirect after a POST.  From page 1 (list of items), the user would
click on an item and the new url would be set through javascript.  On
page 2 (item detail), the user would then POST some action, after which
he should be returned to the original list at the same place.  (The
list is a window of e.g. 500 items from a list of several thousands).

Anyway, I don't know what the OPs was trying do with HTTP_REFERER.

/Per Jessen, Zürich