Re: Alternative to HTTP_REFERER?

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 08:37 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
> Yeti wrote:
>
> > By definition: The referer, or HTTP referer, identifies, from the
> > point of view of an internet webpage or resource, the address of the
> > webpage (commonly the URL, the more generic URI or the i18n updated
> > IRI) of the resource which links to it.
> >
> > More detail at:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referer
> > http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616
> >
> > So is a redirecting page a referrer or not? I don't know. Had no time
> > to translate the gibberish.
>
> It doesn't have to be a redirect as such - when you set the URL using
> javascript, there is also no HTTP_REFERER in MSIE.
>
> > I experimented a bit with it and the most suitable solution I found
> > was passing the referring page on with a GET parameter ...
>
> Which becomes kludgy the minute you've got other GET arguments.
>

> /Per Jessen, Zürich

You should look at developing the app so that it doesn't rely on
referrer information, as this is unpredictable as you've seen. Not just
with IE as well, because some proxy servers have been known to strip out
this information, and individual users can turn this off if they know
how.

What are you doing with it? Maybe there's another solution to the
problem.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk