Re: AJAX and PHP

At 5:39 PM +0200 10/4/08, Alain Roger wrote:
Thanks tedd.
basically page refreshin is not a problem for me as it in intranet application. however, AJAX offers some really nice thing and 1 from my point of view it's to reduce the network traffic by limiting what should be refresh/downloaded.

A small clarification as per my understanding -- using AJAX does not limit what should be downloaded -- what needs to be downloaded, needs to be downloaded regardless. However, using AJAX does change how the browser refreshes and cuts down the chatter between the server and client.

An AJAX request (GET or POST) is simply done behind the browser's back -- if something needs to be brought forward from the server to the client then it makes no difference if you use AJAX or the standard way. In either case, it requires download time and server contact.

If you are not using AJAX, then the browser simply refreshes the entire page with what it has cached and goes to the server for what it hasn't. With AJAX, AJAX simply tells the browser what to refresh and leaves the remainder alone.

As I said, using AJAX will cut down on the chatter between the server and client, but that chatter is not reloading everything each time. So, AJAX is not really affecting downloads -- those are determined by the needs of the page and not on the manner of the presentation.

Now, one can argue that any contact is downloading and I guess that is technically correct. But I am saying that communication between the server and client is different depending upon what's been cached. It's a bit like my wife calling her sister. If my wife gets the answering service, she leaves a message -- if not they talk. While one can say that a call has been made and received in either case, the amount transmitted is significantly different if her sister answers -- if you get my drift.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------