Re: SESSION array problems [SOLVED]

On 2 Oct 2008, at 17:12, Jay Moore wrote:
Stut wrote:
It's also worth noting that since subscriptions is not required to post to these lists there's no guarantee that the OP will get your reply if you don't include their address. IOW you're asking us to deprive a number of developers seeking assistance of our replies because you can't get your own $%*£ in order. How does that make you feel?

Why is it that it's not ok to top post, but it's perfectly fine to not subscribe to the list? It's extremely rude and arrogant to post to the list and expect people to respond to you personally. In fact, people get all up in arms if someone requests it.

Subscribing to this list is a commitment to receiving a fair amount of email and that should not (IMHO) be required in order to get help. But maybe I'm just too giving.

I don't reply-all. If I have an answer that will help someone, I post it to the list. If they can't be bothered to subscribe to see my reply, tough cookies. The question went to the list; the response went to the list. (I feel just fine about this, btw. Thank you for your concern.)

I do not believe either my email client or my email server are improperly configured. When you reply all, you are posting to a newsgroup and to an email address -- two completely separate entities. I don't think it's out of the ordinary to expect that I would get multiple copies of the same message in that instance.

I see your confusion. This is a *mailing list* with a newsgroup gateway. If you're using it as a newsgroup then you have to accept that you're not using it the way it was meant to be used, and that almost always has side-effects.

All that said, it's a matter of group etiquette to do things one way over another (ex: top-posting). Maybe the reply-all etiquette should be re-addressed?

One persons etiquette is another persons annoyance and in such cases the majority should (again, IMHO) get their way. Top-posting can destroy the usefulness of one email when taken out of context, as can poor or non-existant quoting. That affects anyone who uses the many archives of this list that exist. Me including your email address in my replies (which I will continue to do - that's what you have to pay to get my advice) affects you and you alone and is simply a result of you "subscribing" to this mailing list through the newsgroup rather than as a mailing list as FSM intended.

Now please get over it and let us return to the subject at hand. That's PHP by the way.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/