Re: Zend_Form: How to change positions of elements ?

Thodoris wrote:
The php-general mailing list is read by many experienced and friendly PHP developers, but only a percentage of them will know anything about the Zend Framework.

That is true but still there is this percentage that exists. In case you need help you ask and everyone that can reply will do so. Anyone who doesn't know the answer or doesn't care for the subject will not.

No, without meaning to offend, that's just being lazy! What it does is create fragmentation. If the person who replies is subscribed to one list and not the other, then their reply to your query will only be visible to the users of that list.

Another user on the other list may then take time out of their day to help you out without realising that you've got the help you need in the first list.

When that happens, people are (rightly) put out.

You'll noticed that you are now posting only on the php-general list... that's how I've replied to it too, but users of on the Zend list may not see my response. Which is OK as the php-general list tends to be filled with more "chat"/conversational stuff than the zend one anyway :)

I think this was the way that lists worked.

Cross posting is only justified in some cases. e.g. a big security warning in the Zend Framework could justify a posting only php-general too as it would be essential to reach those who may be affected. Likewise if there was a major problem in PHP itself (like the recent libxml 2.7.x problems with older PHP xml parsing routines), then posting to php-general is wise, but you may also help some people in the zend framework community by telling them too.

There are other examples of when cross posting is considered OK (e.g. development collaboration between multiple projects), but I can't list them all here... and it is fairly subjective!

In actual fact, when using usenet rather than mailing lists, there was not such a big problem as posting to a newsgroup did not require registration. So the problem of fragmentation was reduced (copies of the message made it to all groups involved usually).

It won't happen again I promise :-) . It is the damn "reply all" button that does all the ugly demonic things these days.

:D

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie