Re: spreadsheets are opened read only

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 15:43 +0300, Thodoris wrote:

> >> Two servers (two configurations but similar) independent to each
> >> other running the same php scripts (everyone has its own copy).
> >>
> >> You click a link and browser asks you if you want to open or save the
> >> file. If you choose to open it then on the first server opens
> >> read-write but on the second writing is not permitted.
> >
> > Yeah, your opening them simultaneously on the same desktop, Excel sees
> > that they're
> > they have the same file name and makes the second read-only ... at
> > least that's
> > what i think Ash tried to explain. play with 'save as' using a
> > different file name
> > see if that clears up the situation
> >

> Sorry Ash I didn't got that on the first place but I use openoffice and
> when I open the same file the second time it opens it using a different
> name like test.xls-2 or something like that.
>
> But besides this when I upload a file (using a form) and then try to
> open it then it is opened it opens as read only on the first place.
>
> Is it possible that is this caused by apache or can I  reconfigure
> php.ini to change this behavior?
>
> I suspect that the  headers  are being  sent  are somehow  different .

If you are trying to open a file that has a URL instead of a local path,
then it will always be opened as read-only, and there is no way to
change this. If you are opening it using a local path (samba, nfs, fish,
etc) then I would check to see the file permissions. As the file is
being written by Apache from a form upload, the file will have Apache
permissions. Either exec out to a shell script and change the owner
(chown) of the file, or have Apache modify the persions with the
built-in PHP command chmod.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk