Re: spreadsheets are opened read only

Thodoris schreef:

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 14:59 +0300, Thodoris wrote:
On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 14:28 +0300, Thodoris wrote:
Hi guys. I am having a problem with opening xls files from a link generated from php script. Let me analyze this:

I have two linux servers with apache (php,mysql etc) that are running the same project. There is a part in this project that reads all the files from a directory and generates the appropriate links to them. These files are usually spreadsheets (xls) and when I open a file using the link on the first machine it opens normally but when I open the file from the second it is opened read only.

I have checked the rights and the ownership and they are the exact same from the servers document root to the file itself.

Any ideas why is this happening?

--
Thodoris

Do you have the spreadsheet opened on both machines at the same time? If
so, then as far as I know there is no way to prevent it short of
versioning software. The first person opening a M$ Office document marks
it as read-only for anyone else who later opens it at the same time. As
soon as the first person closes it, it gets marked write-allowed.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

No that is not the case since every server is completely independent
from the other. That is why I was comparing the configuration and the
rights. In addition to this I said that these are linux servers.

The weird is that apache opens the files and sends them and openoffice
takes the file and opens it. There is a difference in that procedure
between the two that make the office to open the file as read only
that I am not aware of.
--
Thodoris
I don't think you understood my response and I didn't really understand

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Two servers (two configurations but similar) independent to each other running the same php scripts (everyone has its own copy).

You click a link and browser asks you if you want to open or save the file. If you choose to open it then on the first server opens read-write but on the second writing is not permitted.

Yeah, your opening them simultaneously on the same desktop, Excel sees that they're
they have the same file name and makes the second read-only ... at least that's
what i think Ash tried to explain. play with 'save as' using a different file name
see if that clears up the situation