Re: PHP and SQL Server

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you're running an old version of MS SQL Server then I really would
> suggest moving to MySQL if you're able. I had huge problems at work with
> an older version of the MSSQL software, as it was missing really basic
> things like limiting output to a range of queries (I got forced to use
> the MSSQL TOP command and three nested queries instead) and UTF-8
> character support is poor. I also had problems with the text limitation,
> as we switched a site from ColdFusion to PHP and apparently both were
> using different drivers!
>

> Ash

Funny you should suggest that. We just moved the last few sites off of
MySQL because all of our commercial apps use SQL Server and we wanted
to centralize on one platform rather than running both. I've never had
issues with SQL Server 2000 on sites where I used ASP. I know it
doesn't have MySQL's LIMIT, so you do get into jumping through hoops
to get the same functionality. I haven't had any trouble with storing
UTF-8 data, but I have had to watch very carefully whether I used the
regular CHAR/VARCHAR/TEXT or NCHAR/NVARCHAR/NTEXT. (We also have a
commercially written site that uses ColdFusion - I'm much less than
impressed and can't wait until it gets replaced.)

Andrew