Re: PHP and SQL Server

On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 10:49 -0400, Andrew Ballard wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Jason <networkadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > At 15:05 23/09/2008, you wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >> So, I'm left wondering what that leaves. Is there anything currently
> >> available that could be considered stable for a production
> >> environment, supports parameterized queries and is not slated to be
> >> mothballed in the near future?
> >
> > Have you considered the MS "official" php extension available from
> > http://www.microsoft.com/sql/technologies/php/default.mspx ?
> >
> > We've played with it here and it seems quite good. It requires SQL 2005 or
> > above, so it may not be good for you. YMMV.
> >
> > I have to admit we've yet to seriously load-test it, but at least we finally
> > have Unicode support from PHP to MSSQL. :)
> >
> > HTH
> >

> I wasn't aware of an official MS version, but unfortunately, we're one
> of those shops that is still running 2000 since a couple of our more
> obscure commercial vendor products don't support 2005 (at least not
> the version we have).
>
> Andrew

If you're running an old version of MS SQL Server then I really would
suggest moving to MySQL if you're able. I had huge problems at work with
an older version of the MSSQL software, as it was missing really basic
things like limiting output to a range of queries (I got forced to use
the MSSQL TOP command and three nested queries instead) and UTF-8
character support is poor. I also had problems with the text limitation,
as we switched a site from ColdFusion to PHP and apparently both were
using different drivers!

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk