Re: SESSIONS vs. MySQL

On 19 Sep 2008, at 17:05, Philip Thompson wrote:

On Sep 19, 2008, at 10:54 AM, Wolf wrote:

---- Philip Thompson <philthathril@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all.

Let me start out by saying, I have STFW and read through the list
archives. Now that that's out of the way.

To speed up our application, we want to implement using SESSIONs in
some locations. Beforehand, on every page, we would run approximately 30-40 queries just to get the page setup - user information and other stuff. Now while we can't take away all of the setup queries, we would
like to reduce the startup number.

Ok, so I've implemented this in several places where information
basically does not change from page to page. Jumping to the point/
question... when does it become more inefficient to store lots of
information in SESSION variables than to run several more queries?
Note, we are actually storing sessions in the database - so a read/
write is required on each page load - it's not file sessions.

Now I know this can depend on the complexity of the queries and how
much data is actually stored inside the sessions... but initial
thoughts? To give you a number, the strlen of the _SESSION array is
325463 - which is equivalent to the number of bytes (I think).

Thanks,
~Philip

We carry a sh!tload of information in our session, without slowing anything down. In fact, it takes the servers longer to run a full query then to use the session information.

But we use the $_SESSION information. Our first query sets everything up in the session and we take on from there, and use stuff from the $_SESSION to actually make the rest of the pages faster.

30-40 queries just to set up a page? That's an abomination that shouldn't see the light of day.

Anything slower then 2 seconds without any interaction back to the users will be short-lived....

Wolf

Even with 30-40 queries upon setup, it's very fast - less than 1 second... for now. We starting having speed issues in other locations. Hence, we decided to address every potential reason and possible slowndown in the future.

Thanks for your input, Wolf. Any others storing sh!tloads in their SESSION array? =D

How much of that data do you actually need on each request? I can't believe you need it all for every single page so why bother loading it?

My take on storing stupid amounts of data in sessions: http:// stut.net/blog/2008/07/26/sessionless-sessions-2/ - take it or leave it.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/