Re: Sessions

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Thodoris <tgol@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Thodoris <tgol@xxxxxxxxxx> <tgol@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>   On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Thodoris <tgol@xxxxxxxxxx> <tgol@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>          Also just to throw this out, you can also use the
> session_set_save_handler
>

>  function.  This will let you store your sessions wherever you see fit.
>  file
> system, database, etc.  Comes in handy when you're on multiple web
> servers.
> http://us2.php.net/session_set_save_handler
>

>            Living to learn every single day. Although I find this feature very
> useful
> (storing session data in a database for e.g. mysql) I didn't find any
> good
> example in the manual or anywhere near using it.
>
> Can anyone enlighten me on this ?
>
> --
> Thodoris
>

> --
>

>          Yeah, I found this method great when I had to get sessions away from the
> file system.  It let's you keep using $_SESSION while not losing sessions
> everytime the load balancer redirects someone.
>
> Check out Stut's link, its perfect.
>

>  Thanks guys but do you think I could find this in a non object-oriented
> manner ? I have already seen this link in a previous posting and it is
> really very good.
>
> --
> Thodoris
>

>  Well, instead of a class, just make functions.  Make them according to what
> you set in the session handler.
>
> session_set_save_handler("open", "close", "read", "write", "destroy", "gc");
>
> Example:  "open" maps to "function open() { ... }".
>
> Make sense?
>

>  Thanks I have already started working on that. I suppose that I should run
> the garbage collector every now and then to see if the session has expired.
> I guess this is the basic difference between the normal sessions and
> database oriented. The fact that you need to create a way to check the
> sessions that are expiring.
>
> --
> Thodoris

Yeah, what I've found is that someone will shut their browser, but the line
in the sessions table remains.  So the gc function can clean those up every
so often.  I believe the built in session stuff does its own GCing in the
background.

--
-Dan Joseph

www.canishosting.com - Plans start @ $1.99/month.

"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for the rest of the day.
Light a man on fire, and will be warm for the rest of his life."