Re: Re: Why MS Won't Retire Browsers -- was: Interntet Explorer 8 beater 2

Hello Jochem, howdy,

On Sunday 14 September 2008 20:46:00 Jochem Maas wrote:
> Ashley Sheridan schreef:
> > On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 18:35 +0200, Jochem Maas wrote:
> >> why do the vast majority people keep buying M$?
> >
> > Well, do they really?
>
> yes and no, Office is a very big cashcow if you recall.

Yes and there is a but, a big but. People going to buy a PC which preloaded
with M$ stuff. This was controlling OEM's not the writing software.

I got friend customer at my home town, they manage small bus company. They
begin to use Computers and internet at 2005. I trained them with Firefox and
they still use it and refuse to use IE. Also I install them OO which they use
it without problem.

Remember this people wery PC unfamilliar. My friend still enter google search
for the his web destination.

> > I mean, most sales of Windows come from the sales
> > of computers, because Microsoft give  very nice incentives to retailers
> > who bundle their OS with a PC...
>
> M$ structure the market in such a way that retailers et al don't have any
> choice in the matter, it's not so much 'nice incentives' as 'take the hint
> it's good for you either that or we'll burn you'
>
> nonetheless people still buy the PCs. but that's not the point, the point
> is that the concept of choice has been completely warped to the extent that
> people generally believe that being offered 400 different cartons of milk
> equates to freedom ... it's a marketing trick of the highest order ...
> niether freedom nor choice come into it.
>
> applying such convoluted concepts to linux is actually counter-productive,
> the only real beneficiaries to the linux distro holy-wars are the boys at
> M$. would be interesting to know how much money M$ pump into various
> distros to keep them finghting amongst themselves, I'm guessing that the
> figure is above zero.

M$ fuelling Novell (which owns Suse) and Miguel De Icaza (which leads Gnome
and Mono). Forget novell and suse. Later or sooner they will going down.
Nobody like who bed with M$. And Miguel which was the real problem.

Having tons of distros is not real problem and having two major desktop
enviroment splits your very limited programmer resources to two.

This is real problem. Current lead distro was Ubuntu, and Ubuntu split his
resources in two (or tree) to support different desktop enviroments.

> > It sounds a bit like when Microsoft announced how many people were
> > downloading the IE7 browser, when in actual fact it had been forcing it
> > on users with the automatic system updates, and was still counting those
> > as user requested downloads!
>
> it's statistically proven that you can prove anything with statistics.

And every bit era change there was chance to change customer habbits.
Microsoft owns the 16 and 32 bit because there whrere no real alternative.

But now era changes from 32 to 64 bit and Microsoft fails first attempt to
deliver 64 bit os.

Vista was failure. If jobs makes os.x available for pc's  or Linux find the
real solutution for multimedia codecs and DRM solutions. Somebody may change
M$ desktop hegomony.

Other wise, we still arguing M$ browsers compatibilty at 2020 or whatever.

Regards

Sancar "Delifisek" Saran,

12 years of hard core GNU/Linux Zealot from Turkey.