Re: Sessions

On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 11:03 -0500, Tom Shaw wrote:
> Is what I'm saying below 100% true?
>

> When you start a session using session_start() and start adding indexes to
> the session super global array a small cookie is set on the clients side
> that keeps track of the user, and the session index data that you create is
> stored only in the memory on the server side unless specified in the PHP
> file to store the session data in some specified directory or means db. Plus
> you can access and manipulate the session array just like you could any
> other array.
>

> Thanks Tom
>

> Forget breakfast. Coffee, Smokes and a Red Bull for me.

Mostly that's true. You can ask the sessions to use URL variables if the
user will not allow cookies, and this just adds the session ID to the
URL of the page (not sure how this goes for POST forms?). Also, I think
the session itself is not just in memory but also in a small cookie-like
file on the server, at least I know it is for Windows, not sure how
Linux or Mac OS handles the sessions. Generally, as long as it works for
me, I don't ask too many questions! I don't want it to realise it
shouldn't work and then stop!

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk