From: Jochem Maas [mailto:jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 6:06 PM
To: Tom Shaw
Cc: 'PHP General'
Subject: Re:  2 Questions.

Tom Shaw schreef:
Can anybody give me any good reasons not to use a time stamp as an order
number in my shopping cart. It seems to me that the number is guaranteed
be random and it saves having to make an extra time column to keep track
of
the order. The only small concern I have is the chance that somebody
orders
at the exact same time as somebody else but the chance of that has got to
be
incredibly small but possible.

1. order number are often *required* (for accounting purposes) to be
consecutive
2. the chance is small, yet it is there ... agravated by the fact that most
orders
are placed during a concentrated period of the day.

I have no idea what you mean by 'extra time column' and/or using it to keep
track of an order... but most DBMSs have the ability to auto store a
timestamp
into a field when the given record is created.

oh ... timestamps are hardly random.

My second question is I've designed a very simple Postgres database
wrapper.
The methods are exactly what you would assume to see in any db wrapper a
pg_query, pg_fetch_array. My question is in the db wrapper, is there an
easy
way to always include the table name as an index in all my pg_fetch_array
returned results? The reason I ask is when designing my tables I'm
delegated
to prefixing my column names i.e. users_name instead of just name or
forum_posts instead of just posts to make sure there's no collision.

have your simple wrapper do something like:

$sql = "SELECT foo AS {$tablename}_foo FROM {$tablename} WHERE 1";

with regard to generating the query. if your wrapper doesn't generate the
SQL then you'll have to parse the given SQL and rewrite it ... good luck
with that.

Cheers

Thomas Shaw

Php.coder@xxxxxxxxx