RE: Re: Google Maps Distance Between UK Postcodes

At 3:54 PM -0500 9/11/08, Boyd, Todd M. wrote:
 > Considering that my other profession is Geophysicist, I'm kind of up
 on those sort of things. The Earth is an oblate spheroid and the
 computation to include the curvature of the earth would be a bit more
 involved.

---8<--- snip

But it's also NOT an oblate spheroid! :)

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2008/09/08/ten-things-you
-dont-know-about-the-earth/

Todd:

LOL -- Discover magazine is hardly the definitive authority for Geophysical terms. This is more an article written to make controversial claims for laymen to ponder rather than to provide anything of real substance for people who work in the Geophysical field.

Note, while the article claims that the Earth is NOT an oblate spheroid, it does NOT provide a real alternative. However, it does say "it would be smoother [billiard ball]" but it also claims that "The Earth is more complicated than an oblate spheroid." So, which is it? Is it as simple as a billiard ball or more complicated than an oblate spheroid?

You see, it's one of those "Hit and run -- You can't prove me wrong because I didn't say anything" articles.

While technically the Earth isn't ANY standard/formal static size, an oblate spheroid is a pretty good fit.

Perhaps an example may be of assistance -- if the Earth was pure water (a fluid medium having an equipotential surface) then its surface could be described as a spheroid -- imagine a drop of water in space without any external forces applied to it.

If you introduce rotation, then the radius from the center of the Earth to the equator (perpendicular to the axis of spin) expands and the radius at the poles (axis of spin) reduces. As such, this surface IS known and IS defined as an oblate spheroid -- and with respect to Earth, this IS upon which the geodetic latitude determinations are made.

Now, to be more exact in describing the Earth's surface, requires more attention to detail.

First, the Earth consists of more than just water and it's content are not uniform with respect to distribution and density -- not to mention numerous other physical properties (i.e., elasticity);

Second, the Earth has rotational, orbital, and even processional forces applied to it;

Third, the Earth has external gravitational forces exerted on it from the Sun, Moon, Planets, and et all;

Considering all, the surface of the Earth becomes very complex to compute, let alone to define for the general population.

So, the problem of what term to use to define the surface of the Earth really depends upon the audience you're addressing. If I were talking to a group of preschoolers, I would use the term "Ball", but if I was addressing a group of Geophysical Scientist, then I would use the term "oblate spheroid." Incidentally, I have done both successfully without objection.

An "oblate spheroid" is good enough for me, but the author of the article likes the term "Ball" -- each has their audience of believers.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------