RE: Re: uploading file outside WEB Root

---8<--- snip

AFAIK, there is no good way to accomplish this on a Windows system. You
can map a network location to a drive, and you can even map a folder to
a drive... but I've never seen any way to map something to a folder (or
file). If there is a solution, it's probably a complex registry hack
that MIGHT work with your version of Windows. You can make shortcuts to
locations, and drag/drop/click those shortcuts as if they were the
actual folder/file... but as soon as you get out of the GUI, Windows
doesn't know what to do with them.

As for uploading outside of your web root--it's possible. You just need
to give apache/IIS/whatever-your-web-server-is the proper permissions
for the folder in question. I would recommend making an "uploads" folder
one level above your web root if possible.

Todd Boyd
Web Programmer