Re: Serving pages based on user input

Jochem Maas wrote:
tedd schreef:
At 10:02 PM -0700 8/23/08, Prasad Chand wrote:
Thanks for that information. But in my case I need to serve pages based on selection of US states. There are 50 of them, so generating pages dynamically would have been a nice idea.

WTF? do you have any idea why we write scripts as opposed to endless
copy/pasting of plain (X|(x)HT)ML?

and really you don't need to generate 50 pages, merely 50 URLs that
end up triggering a single script (which in turn generates output based
on the request URL).

OK late reply but just to set the record straight. I did not mean generating 50 different pages!!! I would as well do it in html if thats the case. I meant generating a single page with the desired content based on form input. As of now I am using includes to generate the page. I will be more careful with the wording next time.

Really, there are 50 of them!?!?  :-)

unofficially there are 51, well Tony Blair would like to think so.

You don't have to generate 50 pages dynamically to do it -- try this:

http://webbytedd.com/bbb/map/

That demo is done with just pure css -- no php nor javascript.

Plus each one of those States can be linked to another page -- AND-- it is user friendly, validates, accessible, and SEO friendly. What more could anyone want?

a version of europe actually :-P

seriously how much time did you spend hacking that together? and
how did your eyes bleed?

If you don't know php, then I think the best way to ask a question on this list by telling us what you want to do rather than asking specific php questions trying to do something they way you think it might work.

Thanks for your comment. I was completely new to php so the questions were unrefined, now I am much more comfortable. map-navigation is a good idea but I will need to change the look and feel and I need to give it more time and then I am willing to right now. Btw, I could not download the outline of the map when i saved it as you haven't given permission to the "states" folder. I had to create the states folder and then download the outline of the us map.

no. the best thing would be to RTFM and STFW for a few years,
but hey hell will freeze over first ;-)

Cheer,

tedd