Re: Mysqli issue

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Jason Pruim <japruim@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2008, at 11:23 AM, Stut wrote:
>
>> On 11 Sep 2008, at 16:15, Jason Pruim wrote:
>>>
>>> Attempting to setup a prepared statement in php that will update a record
>>> in a mysql database using mysqli
>>>
>>> Here is the relevant code:
>>>        $stmt = mysqli_stmt_init($link);
>>>        mysqli_stmt_prepare($stmt, "UPDATE purl.schreur (FName, LName,
>>> email, phone, record, subscribed, date, IPAddress, Business, Address1, City,
>>> State, Zip, Coffee, Meeting, areaPlans) VALUES
>>> (?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)");

[snip]

>>> Here is my error message:
>>>
>>> You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds
>>> to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '(FName,
>>> LName, email, phone, record, subscribed, date, IPAddress, Business, Addr' at
>>> line 1
>>>
>>> Now I may just be being dense but I can't figure out the problem...
>>> Migraines are not helping right now though....
>>>
>>> Can anyone see my stupid mistake? :)
>>
>> That's the syntax for an insert statement. Suggest you read this:
>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/update.html
>
> Hmmm... I looked at it, but didn't see anything that would help with a
> prepared statement :)
>
> Am I that dense or can't we do updates with prepared statements?

You're just having a bad day and missing it. The problem isn't that
you're using a prepared statement or not. The problem is that you're
confusing the SQL syntax inside your statement:

INSERT INTO purl.schreur (FName, LName, email, phone, record,
subscribed, date, IPAddress, Business, Address1, City, State, Zip,
Coffee, Meeting, areaPlans) VALUES (?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)

or

UPDATE purl.schreur SET FName = ?, LName = ?, email = ?, phone = ?,
record = ?, subscribed = ?, date = ?, IPAddress = ?, Business = ?,
Address1 = ?, City = ?, State = ?, Zip = ?, Coffee = ?, Meeting = ?,
areaPlans = ?
WHERE [some condition that identifies the row or rows that you want to update]

Andrew