Re: Interntet Explorer 8 beater 2

Lester Caine wrote:
MOST of my council customers only have IE6 on their networks although I was asked the question 'Does it run on IE7' only recently. To which the answer is 'Yes - but all the font sizes are too big!' Since the cost of replacing several thousand computers at each council to ones that could RUN XP is excessive and the current systems work fine then why should they upgrade? The cost will come out of OUR pockets at some point :(

Why do they need to upgrade the whole OS just to upgrade a browser who's sunset date has been reached?

There are enough open source browsers out there that you can get a modern, standards compliant browser on older hardware without any problem.

If this date was built in from the start and was well known, there wouldn't be any problem. It's just trying to retrofit now that people start to think that it's a problem (and due to the general reluctance to keep prop. web apps up-to-date with modern browsers, this is partially correct, but like I say, if this was all known up front, these issues would all have been dealt with!)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie