Re: Large/unreliable file uploading over HTTP

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 6:49 AM, Craige Leeder <cleeder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The only concern I would have is that you are using a third party
> software/applet to do these uploads. I'm not a fan of MAKING users have a
> piece of software enabled to allow them basic web-standard functionality on
> a site.

Well, that's the problem. There is no web standard for intelligently
uploading large files or fixing unreliable/slow connectivity. If this
can be adopted into some sort of pseudo-standard perhaps people can
make some browser addons/plugins to take advantage, and who knows,
maybe we'll be able to get it into a browser or two natively. Today an
applet has to be used no matter what, and any site that accepts large
files or has any sort of "advanced" uploading is using applets. HTTP
uploading doesn't have any resuming or anything, period. If people use
normal multipart POST forms and they get large files, they're just
lucky :)

Note: I actually am talking to an nginx module developer about
creating the server component as an nginx module, which would reduce
any PHP complexities; ideally it would be a drop-in replacement for
uploading and would be transparent to PHP...