Shopping Carts/Checkout Software

The company I work for is going to be creating the catalog to a small store (~100 items). The customized catalog will include the front end that the shoppers will use as well as the back end data entry.

We need shopping cart/checkout software, preferably PHP (since that is what we will be using for our site) and uses MySQL as the database. We want to be able to hook our customized software into the software package (ie we're not using their data entry into the catalog). We don't want to be limited to just one shopping cart/checkout software package and this may become a product we use for more sites.

We have been forced to use a few products since the clients bought the package themselves but I'm not real happy with any of them.

We do our own hosting.

Charlene