Evaluating script complexity

Good morning everyone,

I've usually taken a dive-in/head-first approach to the things I've
engaged in, more and more lately I've come to realize that this
approach is not always appropriate. I believe this realization can
be called "experience."

So, I have a question I hoped the group could help me with. While it
is generally applicable to programming in any language, I am asking
with specific regard to PHP.

When a customer, client or supervisor presents with task description,
how is that tasking rated for complexity? By how many functions are
involved? My how many logic decisions must be performed? A combination?
Now throw in a time factor. What if "your" ability would have you
completing it in 12 hours but they want it in 6? Or 4? Are there
guidelines for helping someone new at these types of evaluations?
Or is it all based on experience and familiarity with past
accomplishments? Given the nature of this tasking (a coding challenge)
how likely is it that they do not really expect a finished product
but wanted to see how far a person got with it? If that, is 16 hours
(overnight) excessive? How many of us are willing to stay up all
night on a coding challenge for a prospective employer with no promise
of being hired?

The reason I ask, I saw tasking to create a loan repayment calendar
(or calculator). So basically, all the usual complexity of a calendar
(or calculator), then calculate weekends and holidays, and shift the
paydate to the left as needed to not fall on one of those.

Now figure that the usual time to complete this task (just the
processing script, not a GUI for it) is claimed to be 3-4 hours (but
16 hours are given). So while I want to know how to rate tasking
complexity more generally, at root I'm wondering what degree of
proficiency (with PHP) must a programmer have to complete this sort
of task in those sorts of time frames.

Reese