Re: PHP on 64bit Ubuntu

Robert Cummings wrote:
On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 11:55 -0700, alexander lind wrote:
For anyone that might be following this thread because they also have a memory problem (on a 64 bit platform or not), here is some advice on how to alleviate it:

- Use a bytecode cacher like xcache. Brought my 12MB pages down to about 5MB. - If using php from a pre-compiled binary (like from Ubunutus repository), consider re-configuring it manually to drop extensions you don't need. - If using Doctrine, always use its free() method to free up memory after you are done with each object.

Doesn't everyone on this list compile from source with only the
extensions they need? Sheeeesh, what's the world coming to.

:)

I don't, well I do compile my own, but as the needed extensions sometimes change, I only load the extensions I actually want to use, with a handy php-foo package which installs the extension and the necessary ini snippet into /etc/php.d/ folder.

Very flexible :) This is how RH and Mandriva RPMs are arranged, it's a pretty good system IMO. No idea how Ubuntu does it but i'd be surprised if they just ship a big bunch of libraries and extensions in one package with just a bug ini file...

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie