Re: PHP on 64bit Ubuntu

On Sep 3, 2008, at 6:42 AM, Per Jessen wrote:

alexander lind wrote:

I just tested my PHP app on Ubuntu 64bit, and found that all my php
scripts would consume about 5x more RAM memory there, compared to how
much they use on my macbook pro (which to make things a bit more
confusing also runs a 64bit OS).
A page that would take up around 2.5 MB on the macbook, takes around
12 MB on the linux server.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

All pointers are twice the size, same goes for the runtime stack.

Ok, so in the worst case scenario, I would expect it to require maybe twice as much RAM then, but really, not more than maybe 10-20% more since not all code is pointers. But 500% more? That seems a bit steep.

Alec