Re: Re: Individual bulk e-mails - performance question

Hello,

on 08/30/2008 10:40 PM Diogo Neves said the following:
Well, I agree that sending it by an external process more specialized
in sending emails can be faster and more eficient, but it's harder to
control... sometimes you need to know in your php if email was really
sent and do something, and while I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm
sure it's a little more complicated...

Knowing whether the message was successfully delivered or not, is something that you often will not know.

Nowadays many SMTP servers use grey listing. This means that first the server says it cannot accept the message temporarily, but it will accept after several minutes.

Even if the server accepts the message immediately, he may bounce or discard it later.

So it is utopic to expect any reliable answer about the deliverability of a message. It is better not rely your software on the accuracy of any response from the remote server.

In any case, for really urgent messages, the MIME message class can use the SMTP driver to deliver messages directly to the remote SMTP server bypasing the local mail server. If it fails the delivery, you should relay it to the local mail server to retry deliverying it later. Take a look at the test_urgent_mail.php script for an example:

http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage

Yet, if sending email don't need to be tracked, then external tool
world possible be better...

Anyway, don't ask me how to do that, I'm more confortable doing things in PHP :)

PHP is very efficient if you use it in a smart way. For instance, you can cache message bodies using the MIME message above to avoid message composition overhead.

As for the actual SMTP delivery, the network connection and TCP data exchanging is usually so slow that any overhead of PHP script execution is meaningless.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

Find and post PHP jobs