Re: Regex for email validation

At 8:35 PM +0200 8/27/08, Per Jessen wrote:
 > So, regardless of the documentation, which may be outdated, I know
 > that Unicode characters can be used in IDNS and thus on both sides of
 the @,

You're wrong - IDNs only apply to the right side of the @. (check out
what the 'D' means).

The D in IDNS is Internationalized "Domain" Names -- note what the 'I' stands for.

I was wrong to say that Unicode code points can be used on the LHS of the @ but domain names contain Unicode code points (in fact, that's all they contain) and thus these code points can appear on the RHS of email.

For example, one *can* use other than ASCII characters in a domain name -- that's what the IDNS WG was for solving.

The WG did solve this issue and came up with a way to do that -- the current algorithm is called PUNYCODE which allows Unicode code-points to appear in a domain name. I know this to be true because I have several domains that lie outside the standard ASCII AND they are real domains that have real web sites.

For example:

http://xn--u2g.com

If you have a browser (like Safari) that is capable of showing the URL in it's native charset, then you will see the Rx.com in the url. If not, then you'll see xn--u2g.com.

Now, email can be sent from that domain, but I have not found an application that will send nor receive it. The software has simply not caught up with the technology.

One thing for sure, as the rest of the world logs on, more and more people will demand that their applications will implement the capabilities of the current IDNS.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------