Re: comments function being spammed, how do I stop it?

tedd wrote:

> At 3:14 PM -0700 8/25/08, Jim Lucas wrote:
>>Here is the function that I added to a generic guest book script.
>>It works great for me.  I have a predefined list of sexual,
>>pharmaceutical, rude, vulgar, etc... words that I have in the
>>spamwords.dat file.
>>
>>function is_spam($str) {
>>   $data = './data/spamwords.dat';
>>   $spamword = file($data);
>>   $str = strtolower($str);
>>   foreach ($spamword AS $word) {
>>     $word = trim($word);
>>     if ( ! empty($word) &&                             // Blank line
>>          strpos($word, 0, 1) != '#' &&                 // Comment line
>>          strpos($str, strtolower($word)) !== false ) { // Compare
>>       return true;
>>     }
>>   }
>>   return false;
>>}
>>
>>Just setup the spamwords.dat file to have each word/string that you
>>want to reject for separated on each line.
>>
>>--
>>Jim Lucas
>

> Will you share your spamwords.dat file? I get too excited trying to
> type them in myself.  :-)
>
> This reminds me (if I have my story correct) that recently a
> Christian web site had a similar filter except it filtered news they
> scrubbed off other site/sources. One of their routines checked for
> offensive words and then replaced them with PC words.
>
> This receive national attention when their site changed Tyson Gay's
> name to Tyson Homosexual.
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd

I figure their spamfilter would have permanent epilepsy if they took a feed
from the Scunthorpe Evening Telegraph's site at
http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/

Cheers
--
David Robley

Phobia: what's left after drinking 2 out of a 6 pack
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 20th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3174.