Re: Displaying files

On 15 Aug 2008, at 15:41, Dan Shirah wrote:
Your best bet would be to run a periodic sync to copy the files across from the other server but it would have to run outside the IIS process. There are plenty of solutions around for doing this and they have nothing to do with PHP. You can then refer to the local copy of the file from PHP and it will then work.

This isn't very feasible because the server that contains the documents contains almost 1 terabyte worth of documents and continues to grow in size. No way I would want to mirror that amount of information just to hude the file path.

Instead of just making and executing a batch file, maybe there is a way for PHP to call a scheduled task? Since within a scheduled task you specify what username/password is used to execute it I may be able to get it to work?

A scheduled task is messy. IIWY I'd use FTP to pull the file over, but that's still pretty messy.

If this is an Intranet then the risks involved in giving that user access to the network is minimal and probably would be the best solution. Alternatively you could set up an HTTP server on the document server and proxy the documents through the IIS server (readfile should be happy to take an HTTP URL unless you've disabled it in php.ini, and the end user will never see the actual URL).

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/