Re: Displaying files

On 8/15/08, Dan Shirah <mrsquash2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wow, I think it finally clicked.
>
> Sorry that took so long.

That's fine, sorry if I sounded rude or something. I didn't mean it.

The whole point behind using PHP was to try and copy or call the file from
> the server side so the user does not see the path to the document. Using
> HTML and Javascript it is extrememly easy to just view source and see the
> path.  Whereas using PHP it would take the regular user a bit more work to
> view the path which is why I wanted to go that route.  But having to grant
> the anonymous internet account access to the server would be just as bad if
> not worse.

My guess is worse. :)

My application retrieves a list of docments that the user can view based on
> search criteria. When the user clicks on the document I wanted to somehow
> mask the location the document is being pulled from.  HTML and Javascript
> are so easy to circumvent, even to the everyday user that I wanted to do
> something with PHP since it's code is not viewable when you view source
> since it is run on the server.
>
> Have any of you attempted something like this?

You can have a php file called something like getFile.php where you pass
parameters like getFile.php?file=123 and it returns the file (with proper
headers).

But that way you'd have to map all file paths to a database. Then you could
access them thru codes, but remember to check user permissions before
handling him the file as you'd have a serious problem.

Aside of that, at the moment I can't figure another way of serving files for
a user hiding them the path for it.

I'd be happy to see what others have in mind. :)

--
Thiago Henrique Pojda