Re: php File upload

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 1:08 PM, mike <mike503@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 8/8/08, Luke <tinmachin3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Is a 1.9 gb file upload even sustainable on even a fairly small scale web
>> application? Maybe you could implement FTP if you trust the people that want
>> to upload the file.
>
> This is why I am pushing for people to use PUT.
>
> Still over HTTP, uploaders can be coded to be 'smart' and resume,
> re-transmit on failure, etc.
>
> It does however require applet (java, flash, etc) or thick client
> support on the client, and a server that understands the DAV request.
> I have it working in nginx right now. Need to test large files and
> watch PHP's memory consumption, since I am spoonfeeding the file to
> PHP.

I've not had to upload such large files over HTTP, so forgive my
ignorance, but on the request end isn't the only difference between
PUT and POST the verb used in the request (and the intent of the
operation)? What can you do with PUT that cannot also be handled the
same in POST? I don't see any implementations doing it, but from what
I can tell the spec allows you to use Content-Range in the request
headers that your client sends to PUT/POST the same way the server
sends them in the response headers when serving a GET request.

Andrew