Re: Kill Magic Quotes

Dave M G wrote:
>I am developing a web site that is hosted on a web server where I do not
>have permission to change the php.ini file.
>
>This server has magic quotes turned on. I'd like them off.
>
>I wrote two functions to detect when magic quotes is on, and to try and
>counter act its effects. But it does not seem to be working. It seems to
>have no effect, and I get slashes showing up in all sorts of output
>where I don't want them. Not only in data put into the database, but
>also emails sent to from the site contact page and other places.

Perhaps you also need to disable magic_quotes_runtime:

  set_magic_quotes_runtime(0);	// just call it once per page

Are you sure you actually call your removeSlashes() function?

Why do you think you need your restoreSlashes() function? (NB: not
sufficient for MySQL statements, and not applicable for some other
databases)

Roger Bigras wrote:
>>you may try the
>>
>>ini_set('magic_quotes_gpc',0);

That won't work:

http://au.php.net/manual/en/function.get-magic-quotes-gpc.php

"Keep in mind that the setting magic_quotes_gpc will not work at
runtime."
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Let the laddie play wi the knife - he'll learn"