Kill Magic Quotes

PHP List,

I am developing a web site that is hosted on a web server where I do not have permission to change the php.ini file.

This server has magic quotes turned on. I'd like them off.

I wrote two functions to detect when magic quotes is on, and to try and counter act its effects. But it does not seem to be working. It seems to have no effect, and I get slashes showing up in all sorts of output where I don't want them. Not only in data put into the database, but also emails sent to from the site contact page and other places.

Here are the functions I created. Where have I gone wrong?

 public static function removeSlashes($string)
 {
  // Check if "Magic Quotes" is turned on.
  if (get_magic_quotes_gpc())
  {
    // Remove escape slashes.
    return stripslashes($string);
  }
  // Return a string that has no escape slashes.
  return $string;
 }

 public static function restoreSlashes($string)
 {
  // Check if "Magic Quotes" is turned on.
  if (get_magic_quotes_gpc())
  {
    // Add escape slashes.
    return addslashes($string);
  }
  // Return a string that has escape slashes.
  return $string;
}

Any advice much appreciated.

--