Re: Object overhead vs. arrays

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 7:21 AM, Christoph Boget
<christoph.boget@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I knew that there would be some overhead when working with objects vs
> working with arrays, but I didn't expect this much.  Is there some
> optimization that I could do to improve the performance any?  While
> the script below is just a benchmark test script, it approximates
> functionality that I'm going to need to implement.  Ultimately, I need
> to iterate through a large amount of data and am wondering if perhaps
> I should encapsulate the data in objects (which closer represents the
> underlying data)

i lost you on this one..  organizing data w/ arrays and objects should be
essentially the same thing.  they both support name value pairs and
nesting.  since data doesnt inherently have operations, i dont see how
organization could be any better w/ objects (just my opinion).

> or if I should encapsulate it in arrays.  Based on
> what I'm seeing in this benchmark script, it seems like it should be
> the latter...

so when i tend to design a project, if i plan on using oop, i use oop. some
systems might offer options to get back 'only' an array at certain points,
as an optimization.  however, if i see data and methods realating to one
another, i tend to bundle them up in a class.  of course you can just use
plain old methods and arrays, but then thats a different style of
programming.

if its any slower, in my mind, i really dont care.  i save time and sanity
by using the oop techniques i know at design / impl time.  soo, maybe more
ram and cpu and objects on this one :D

-nathan