Re: remembering where the user is on the page??

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
brian wrote:
A better way to do that is to give some block element--a header, a div, etc.--an ID. That works exactly the same as <a name="...">.

It should work the same. But it doesn't in older user agents or with older assistive technology:

http://stevenclark.com.au/2008/07/11/named-anchors-and-skip-navigation/

I *suspect* that the <a name=""> thing is deprecated, even.

Not in HTML:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/links.html#adef-name-A

It's deprecated in XHTML 1.0 (i.e. it's valid to use):

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.10

It's removed in XHTML 1.1 (i.e. it's not valid to use):

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/changes.html#a_changes

Its removal from XHTML isn't particularly relevant to most web authors, as Trident (and hence both IE and older assistive technology that only supports IE) doesn't support XHTML except when served as text/html (i.e. tag soup), XHTML 1.0 has no advantages when served as tag soup, and XHTML 1.1 must not be served as text/html. ;)

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis

Thanks for the info. I followed the first link to this other site that has a good run-down on some user-agent tests (note the ID i found for myself to provide easy navigation to the table ;-)

http://www.jimthatcher.com/skipnav.htm#skiptests

This table appears to show that there are few problems with using an ID on an existing element. Outside of IE6, that is. But then, we already knew that IE6 is broken.