Re: remembering where the user is on the page??

Jim Lucas wrote:
Rod Clay wrote:
I'm creating a website in php and I've noticed that many websites seem to "remember where the user is on the page,"

You are probably referring to <a name=""></a> tag placement.

If in your web page you place an anchor tag like this:

<a name="SomeName"></a>

Then in the URL you add this to the end #SomeName it will try and place that position at the top of your viewable area in your web browser.

http://example.com/myfunpage.html#SomeName

A better way to do that is to give some block element--a header, a div, etc.--an ID. That works exactly the same as <a name="...">. That way, there can be many anchored locations on a page without having to add otherwise superfluous tags. I *suspect* that the <a name=""> thing is deprecated, even.

In any case, I wonder if the OP is referring to the fact that many user-agents will scroll to the previous spot when the "back" button is used. No extra mark-up or hints required.